The Sexual Rights Campaign is one of Sister Namibia’s main focuses for advocacy. Sister Namibia feels a strong need for a sexual rights movement in Namibia for Namibian women and girls, and an overall re-learning and re-understanding of common concepts such as gender as well as our different sexual identities and orientations.
- Over the following years, Sister Namibia seeks to carry out this campaign by:
- Developing a feminist critique of cultural practices that violate the sexual rights of women and girls
- Developing training material on women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights in collaboration with partner organisations
- Conducting training on women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights at the national and local level
- Developing publicity materials and using the media and public events to create visibility for the Sexual Citizenship Campaign
- Partnering with educational institutions and teachers on teaching about sexuality and sexual rights
- Networking with National, regional and international organisations and institutions working on women’s sexual rights, culture and HIV and Aids
Sister Namibia will be hosting 4 Sexual Rights workshops, three in Ongwediva and one in Windhoek, before the end of the year (2011). More information in this regard will be released in the media.